Tuesday, November 29, 2011

CONTEST ENTRY: My Scrooge Story- Peggy P.

My Scrooge is my stepfather Neil.

Neil is an alcoholic who married my Mom back in the 80’s. Until he retired he would be totally sober for the entire week then became the “weekend alcoholic” that he was. Every weekend he would alienate himself from the family by insulting all of us. After retirement he drank every day which made things worse. He used to verbally abuse my mother as well. He’d be so drunk he would go to bed between 7 and 8 PM.

Then one day my Mom decided to audio tape him. She played it back for him and gave him the ultimatum. Sober up or leave. He chose to get help.

He admitted himself into a local rehab facility and from that day on didn’t take a drink. Through rehab and AA he became a reformed, good, all around nice man and, until he was admitted to a nursing home for Alzheimer’s, chose not to take a drink. I give him all the credit in the world.

From alcohol abuse to totally sober since the 1990’s, his life was transformed. His daughter moved him to California with her and he is in a facility in which she volunteers so she sees him daily. The people in the facility love him. I miss him but I know that where he is now is the best for him.

He evolved from “Mr. Scrooge” to “Uncle Scrooge” and I hope his life will end peacefully and happily for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment