Sunday, December 4, 2011

Cratchit Interviews

Good Evening Bloggerinos,


As promised, here are the interviews I have been working on for the past couple of days. Some of the actors I spoke to in person, some over the phone, and even Facebook was used! During my phone interviews the children did not recognize the name "Annie Kerins", so I had to reintroduce myself as "Mrs. Cratchit". It's funny that in the first week of rehearsal it's easier to be identified as your character than as yourself.


BOB CRATCHIT Interview:

What is it like pretending you have children when you are not a parent?

It's great because I love kids. But this scenario is even better because I get to give them back at the end of the day :)

How many times have you played Bob Cratchit?

Twice. This is my 4th time appearing in a production of "A Christmas Carol". My first production was with Trinity Repertory Theatre and they used a lot of puppets. I was a puppeteer. There was a Scrooge puppet. And Christmas Future was this huge head 15 feet above the stage. There were these 2 arms that we manipulated. Three of us had to operate that puppet. He would come out and point his 6 foot long hands at the grave stone. So that was fun.

My first appearance in the Hanover Theatre's "A Christmas Carol" I played Fred Scrooge. And this will be my second year playing Bob Cratchit.

Do you often play fathers?

Nowadays, yes I do. The first father I played was for a Rhode Island College Fund commercial. In that I play a dad with a little kid who runs around with a box on his head.


And I just finished working at the Beef and Boards Theatre playing George Bailey in "It's a Wonderful Life". I have gone from playing a father with four kids to playing a father with four kids!

How is George Bailey's family different from Bob Cratchit's family?

They are actually very similar. They are not very well-off, but they're happy. George goes through some hard times, unfortunately, and kind of takes it out on his family, whereas Bob Cratchit never takes anything out on his family. They are different in that way. But financially they have similar struggles, maybe Bob is a little worse off, but the Bailey's do have the Depression to deal with.

At the core George Bailey is a dreamer and very hopeful. Bob Cratchit shares that same hopefulness. I don't know if he is so much of a dreamer, but he has got a very positive outlook on things. Both characters get through these very hard times. And they put their families first.


MARTHA CRATCHIT Interview:

How old are you?

I am 15 years old.

What's it like to play the same part 3 years in a row with different siblings every year?

I think it's really great having different siblings every year because I get to adapt my character to the different family. The first year I did the show, I had younger siblings, and that made my Martha kind of protective of the little kids. But each year they've gotten older (or maybe just taller...) which has given me a chance to make my character grow up a little and not have to constantly "watch out" for the other Cratchit kids onstage (at least that's how I see it).

How is the Cratchit holiday celebration different to your own?

The Cratchit celebration is different from my family's, but only because we're not as religious.

The whole idea of having the family home for Christmas is huge in my house though. Me and my brother are always running around doing activities and both my parents work, so just sitting down and having dinner together is really nice, and must be somewhat like the Cratchit's Christmas because they don't get to see Martha much, Mr. Cratchit works all day, and Mrs. Cratchit must have her hands full with all the kids.








Emily Greenslit, Annie Kerins, Joanna Rosen, Thomas Petrocelli, & Peter Stamoulis >




BELINDA CRATCHIT INTERVIEW:
How did you feel when you were cast as Belinda at the Hanover Theatre?

Well I was very, very, very ecstatic. I am so happy to be playing Belinda. Even though I was in the youth ensemble last year, I didn't know if I would be cast in a part this year. But I DID and I am very happy about that.

Me too. I am glad you are playing my daughter!

Do you have a favorite part in the "Cratchit Table" scene?

Hmm...I do love singing the "Christmas is coming the goose is getting fat"-song. That is a favorite.

Is there anything else you'd like to share with me about the show?

I love "A Christmas Carol". It's a story that never gets old. And Charles Dickens is amazing and he wrote it! The story is incredible and after all this time it's still being performed everywhere. I just love it!

Have you studied "A Christmas Carol" in school yet?

No. Not yet.



PETER CRATCHIT Interview:

How many people are there in your family?

I am an only child.

What's it like to play a character with lots of siblings?

It's kinda nice to have people you like to work with and they get to play your family and can be your friends. It's nice.

Do you have anything else you'd like to share about your character?

Well I appreciate the fact that they use cockney. It helps to kind of shape your character.

There are lots of different actors who have played Cratchit children and I like that I can make my character my own style, something that I can relate to. And Peter is an interesting character in general. I happen to like him. He is kind of a mischievous kid, but he is also very sentimental

How does he feel about his brother and sisters?

I bet sometimes Belinda probably pesters him, but I guess he cuts her some slack for Christmas.
How does he feel about Tiny Tim?

Well you know, everyone loves Tiny Tim. You can't not like him. Tiny Tim is the basis of the show. And he is pretty fragile. Even if Peter didn't get along with him, he has to like him, he takes care of him. Everyone really develops a bond with Tiny Tim even when you're not a character in the play.



TINY TIM Interview:

How old are you?

7

How did you learn your lines?

Before I go to bed I just read my lines very quickly. Usually by myself.
What's it like being carried around by Bob Cratchit?

It feels pretty high. And if I look down I kind of get scared, a little.

I can see why you'd feel that way, Sean is pretty tall.

I agree.

But does it get easier the more you do it?

Yeah.
Are you excited about being in the play?

Yes. Very.








Sean Patrick Hopkins takes a rest during a long rehearsal of carrying Peter Stamoulis on his shoulders.

No comments:

Post a Comment